Bounce Physio offers Hydrotherapy services, also known as aquatic physiotherapy, at a few pools across the greater Brisbane area including Cleveland and Newmarket Pools. These services are run by qualified physiotherapists with a number of years of experience in the pool. The services include both hydrotherapy group class and 1-on-1 sessions.
What is Hydrotherapy?
Hydrotherapy is a form of activity that encompasses a range of exercises in a heated pool, typically 34-35ºC. There are a number of benefits for performing exercise in a heated pool, that range from increased mobility to greater strength (see benefits of hydro below). This form of exercise is great for those of all ages, whether you are recovering from an injury or to maintain your ability to walk, you will find benefit from being in the pool!
Being in the pool can assist the body as the buoyancy of the pool reduces gravity on the body. This is great for reducing load and impact through painful joints such as the spine and knees
Benefits of Hydrotherapy
Hydrotherapy has been shown to assist with the following:
- Reduction in pain due to warmth of the water
- Strengthen both upper limb and lower limb muscles due to water resistance
- Improve balance – less risk of falls
- Improve cardiovascular fitness (general fitness)
- Assist with coordination
- Promote relaxation and stress reduction
Conditions that have been shown to improve following hydrotherapy:
- Low back pain
- Sports injuries
- Stress and depression
- Joint pains
- Knee pain
- Neck pain
- Joint replacements (knees and hips)
- Neurological conditions (such as Parkinson’s Disease, stroke and cerebral palsy among others)
What makes our hydrotherapy different?
We at Bounce Physio pride ourselves in creating individualised plans for all our clients. We believe by providing a structured pathway, our clients are offered the best outcomes available. That is why we have created a specific hydrotherapy pathway!
The Hydrotherapy Pathway
- In-clinic Individual Assessment – Prior to getting in the pool, you will receive an individual assessment at our clinic. This gives our physiotherapist a chance to get to know you and identify your level of function while identifying your goals for treatment.
- Hydrotherapy assessment (in pool) – The first session at the pool will include a range of activities and exercises to see how you function in the pool. This session is really important, as how you pull up after the session will help us to determine the level of intensity to prescribe the exercises.
- Hydrotherapy session #2 (in pool) – We will provide you with an individualised laminated program and run through this with you, so that you are feeling comfortable performing these exercises.
- Hydrotherapy sessions – From this point on, we will discuss with you about what is the best step forward for your progress. Some individuals will require more sessions than others while some will progress to our hydrotherapy classes.
- In-clinic Review Assessment – This session is highly important, as we review your progress in the pool by looking at some key factors such as balance. This allows us to successfully plan the next step of your pathway.
Hydrotherapy 1-on-1 sessions
Our 1-on-1 sessions allow us to create a highly individualised program tailored to suit your needs. We use a range of equipment in these sessions that include; pool noodles, weights and kickboards. This allows us to create a unique program to suit any goal. Once you are comfortable, we provide a laminated program for you allowing you to use it at the pool without fear of destroying it!
Our classes focus on a range of exercises, from improving your mobility, to retraining your balance, strengthening both your upper and lower limbs while improving your cardiovascular fitness! We tailor our classes to each individual. Some of the types of conditions that our participants have include; Hip Replacements, Knee Replacements, Lumbar Spine Pain, Spinal Operations (Microdiscectomy, Laminectomy etc.), Ankylosing Spondylitis, Bone Stress Injuries and so many more. Our classes are run all year round, therefore providing a reliable source of activity.
We are registered providers with the NDIS and currently have assisted a number of clients on their pathway to reach their goals through hydrotherapy. We offer tailored 1-on-1 sessions that incorporates ‘training the carer’. This is significantly important for those that wish to be self-managing.