Bounce Physio offers Hydrotherapy services, also known as Aquatic Physiotherapy, at a number of pools across the greater Brisbane area including Newmarket, Ascot, Cleveland and North Lakes. These services are run by qualified physiotherapists with a number of years of experience in the pool. The services include both hydrotherapy group classes and 1-on-1 sessions.
What is Hydrotherapy?
Hydrotherapy, also known as aquatic therapy, is a type of physiotherapy that involves exercising in water to improve physical function, reduce pain and swelling, and promote healing. The heated pool is typically between 34-35ºC. The heated pool provides additional buoyancy, resistance and support for your body which makes it much easier to perform exercises and movements. This is great for reducing load and impact through painful joints such as the spine and knees. Furthermore, the added warmth of the water helps to reduce stress and tension and has been shown to improve your quality of sleep!
Benefits of Hydrotherapy
Hydrotherapy has been shown to assist with the following:
- Reduction in pain due to the warmth of the water
- Strengthen both upper limb and lower limb muscles due to water resistance
- Improve balance – less risk of falls
- Improve cardiovascular fitness (general fitness)
- Assist with coordination
- Promote relaxation and stress reduction
Conditions that have been shown to improve following hydrotherapy:
- Joint pains such as Osteoarthritis, knee pain and hip pain
- Joint replacements (knees and hips)
- Post-operative rehabilitation such as ACL repairs and rotator cuff repairs
- Low back pain
- Sports injuries
- Stress and depression
- Neurological conditions such as stroke, multiple sclerosis, and Parkinson’s disease
- Cardiovascular conditions such as heart disease and high blood pressure
- Chronic pain conditions
What Makes Our Hydrotherapy Different?
We at Bounce Physio pride ourselves in creating individualised plans for all our clients. We believe by providing a structured pathway, our clients are offered the best outcomes available. That is why we have created a specific hydrotherapy pathway!
The Hydrotherapy Pathway at Bounce Physio
- In-clinic Individual Assessment – Prior to getting in the pool, you will receive an individual assessment at our clinic. This gives our physiotherapist a chance to get to know you and identify your level of function while identifying your goals for treatment.
- Hydrotherapy assessment (in pool) – The first session at the pool will include a range of activities and exercises to see how you function in the pool. This session is really important, as how you pull up after the session will help us to determine the level of intensity to prescribe the exercises.
- Hydrotherapy session #2 (in pool) – We will provide you with an individualised laminated program and run through this with you, so that you are feeling comfortable performing these exercises.
- Hydrotherapy sessions – From this point on, we will discuss with you about what is the best step forward for your progress. Some individuals will require more sessions than others while some will progress to our hydrotherapy classes.
- In-clinic Review Assessment – This session is highly important, as we review your progress in the pool by looking at some key factors such as balance. This allows us to successfully plan the next step of your pathway.
Hydrotherapy 1-On-1 Sessions
Our 1-on-1 sessions allow us to create a highly individualised program tailored to suit your needs. We use a range of equipment in these sessions that include; pool noodles, weights and kickboards. This allows us to create a unique program to suit any goal. Once you are comfortable, we provide a laminated program for you allowing you to use it at the pool without fear of destroying it!
Our classes focus on a range of exercises, from improving your mobility, to retraining your balance, strengthening both your upper and lower limbs while improving your cardiovascular fitness! We tailor our classes to each individual. Some of the types of conditions that our participants have include; Hip Replacements, Knee Replacements, Lumbar Spine Pain, Spinal Operations (Microdiscectomy, Laminectomy etc.), Ankylosing Spondylitis, Bone Stress Injuries and so many more. Our classes are run all year round, therefore providing a reliable source of activity.
We are registered providers with the NDIS and currently have assisted a number of clients on their pathway to reach their goals through hydrotherapy. We offer tailored 1-on-1 sessions that incorporates ‘training the carer’. This is significantly important for those that wish to be self-managing.